Monday, April 6, 2009

Am I really losing my mind or is this the new normal?!!!!

Feeling worn out and needing a good laugh a week or so ago I searched out funny mothering books on amazon. I selected Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It by Andrea Buchanan. I just received it today and will give the low down when I finish it. I can say that the Introduction is already proving to strike a chord. When it rains it pours, right? Well, I turned on Oprah today and it was a show all about the secret lives of moms. No, not an expose about how we really have secret fabulous agendas and manage to keep things together much easier than we let on. It really was the dirty truth about motherhood revealed. Same premise as my book. Funny stuff. See, I suffer at times (okay a lot) from this guilt that I shouldn't feel stressed out and should always have the house clean, laundry done and neatly folded (my goal many days is just to get it in the correct drawers, as Charlie comes along and rips it all out anyway - why fold??), yummy dinner that is not out of a box or takeout (really I enjoy cooking and feel robbed when I can't cook), etc, etc, etc as I am fortunate at this time to be a stay-at-home mom of only one child. (Long sentence!)  Whenever I feel like I'm dragging or pissy I think of all of the people out there who have it so much harder than I do. Guilt is such a wonderful thing. I create it myself. Lovely.  I have been told it is completely pointless.  I hear that - just don't feel it yet.  Anyway...  tangents....  I am feeling less crazy having experienced these encounters with moms who are talking about the less glamorous and more stressful sides of motherhood.  At the same time, I am stumbling upon all of these blogging moms with so many interesting things to say.  I'm loving these blogs, as blogging is my destressor these days - it's comforting to see others out there.  One blog I learned of today is http://www.dooce.com/  I haven't looked at it much yet, but she seems like good comic relief and is braver than I as far as voicing (to the masses) her daily experiences....  I have decided I'm not losing my mind (yet).  YES, this IS the new normal, and I will be fine, so long as I know I'm not the only one out there.  =)


No comments:

Post a Comment