Monday, April 27, 2009

meeting the challenge

Yea! Finally something I have created with my own 2 hands to post =) I met my local and seasonal challenge today. I bought some locally raised ground lamb, some local yogurt and pita bread, and made a recipe that I have adapted from a few I researched online. This is the second time I have made this and it is really yummy, although I learned today that fresh mint makes a huge difference in the flavor and is definitely worth it (today I used dried).

Lamb Meatballs with Yogurt Sauce

Meatballs................
Preheat oven to 450. Saute 1 medium onion finely chopped in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Toast 2 slices of bread and using food processor make into bread crumbs or use 1/2-3/4 cups of store bought bread crumbs (welcome to my recipes! no set amounts!!). In a large mixing bowl beat 1 egg. Mix in 1 pound of ground lamb, cooled onion and its oil, bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste and 1/4-1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint (I use lots - love mint). Mix well with your hands. Roll 1" diameter meatballs and place on cookie sheet. This will yield about 40 meatballs. Place in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Yogurt Sauce...........
(making ahead allows the flavors to mingle, but not essential)
Mix 1 small container or 1 cup of plain yogurt (I used local sheep to really "lamb" up the recipe. Ha, ha. Actually we have a local sheep farm that makes yummy yogurt. Win win.) with 1/4 chopped fresh mint and 1/2 tsp salt.

Serve with/in/on pita with sauce, or however else you like. Delish, and very spring-esque.


(for those who are lamb-shy, I used to be, as well. Lamb is really not as gamey as it is often made out to be. It is more interesting than ground beef for sure. I am a huge fan lately. It is also high in iron and a great food for babies. Pork is iron-rich as well, but who is really having a hankering for a pork chop right now????)

No comments:

Post a Comment