Friday, May 15, 2009

Pizza Fatigue

Pizza has been our go-to Friday night dinner for the past 3 seasons.  I couldn't take another night of it!  Having vetoed that plan I was stuck with what to do for dinner on a Friday.  Darn!  Trying to encourage the nice weather to stay I went with cool snack night foods.  In 2 hours while Charlie slept I boiled shrimp, made cocktail sauce, cooked fiddleheads, made veggies and dip, made a pasta salad and a strawberry rhubarb crisp.  That's right - all of that in 2 hours.  I love having time to myself to cook, but as I raced around the kitchen trying to get it all done before the babe woke up I kept reminding myself to enjoy my "me" time.  Haha!  It wasn't bad.  It became this race against the clock thing - a "see how much you can get done in one nap" game.  I even did a load of laundry in there somewhere.  (What the heck did I do with all of my time before Charlie?  Seriously?  Was I a lazy sloth?)    Just as Charlie was waking up I was trying to put out the cheese and crackers and pickled herring - "meal" complete.  Sure, I really didn't need to make all of that food, but you know when you go to the grocery store and instead of trying to think of one possible thing to make for dinner, 5-6 ideas pop in your head and the ingredients aren't too insane AND you can fit them all in one basket while hauling your baby (toddler!) in the other arm, as you promised yourself you only needed 4 things and why bother with the cart?  No?  You've never had an experience like that?  =)  Needless to say, I have had this happen often and my biceps are TONED - especially the left one - the one always carrying the toddler in those situations.  
Anyway, no pizza for me, and I'm a happy girl, until next Friday when I have to dream up something again.  It won't be this elaborate I can promise myself that.  

Happy Weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment